Members: $370 | Non-members: $740
Continuing Education: This virtual workshop is eligible for 6.0 CE hours
Duration: Four 90-minute sessions
Speaker: Carol Maher, RN-BC, RAC-MT, CPC
In this four-part certificate program, AANAC master teacher, Carol Maher, RN-BC, RAC-MT, CPC, guides long-term care nurses and IDT members through the process of determining and identifying the most appropriate ICD-10-CM codes. The Patient-Driven Payment Model (PDPM), which goes into effect Oct. 1, 2019, has increased the importance of accurate ICD-10-CM diagnoses by shifting Medicare payments from therapy volume to resident characteristics. ICD-10-CM codes and diagnoses will impact the OT, PT, SLP, NTA, and nursing components under PDPM.
You will walk through the process for using the ICD-10-CM Manual, from identification of the main term through the final code selection, and review coding and chapter-specific guidelines. You will have the opportunity to enhance your learning and locate correct ICD-10-CM codes throughout this interactive education program.
Following this virtual workshops, participants will be able to:
- Define the correct process for determining the ICD-10-CM code from the physician’s documented diagnoses
- State which practitioners can diagnose
- Explain the process for identifying the “main term” for diagnoses to assist clinicians to locate the basic code in the Alphabetic Index Describe the difference between “Excludes 1” and “Excludes 2” notes
- State the importance of chapter specific guidelines
- Identify the ICD-10-CM code for a cancer diagnosis using the Neoplasm table
- Explain how combination codes are appended for residents who have a specific type of diabetes “with” multiple conditions
- Report the seventh characters assigned to designate the stages of glaucoma
- Identify the ICD-10-CM code for a pathological fracture related to osteoporosis
- Name one chapter-specific guideline that has a major impact on coding traumatic fractures that have been surgically repaired with a joint replacement
- Explain steps required to determine a principal diagnosis
Describe how ICD-10-CM codes will impact the therapy and non-therapy ancillary components in PDPM
State the MDS item where the facility will document the ICD-10-CM code for the primary diagnosis
List at least four documents to review to determine diagnoses for your new SNF resident
Carol Maher has no conflicts of interest to disclose.