Members: $370 | Non-members: $740
Speaker: Carol Maher, RN-BC, RAC-MT, CPC
In this four-part certificate program, AANAC master teacher, Carol Maher, RN-BC, RAC-MT, CPC, guides long-term care nurses and IDT members through the process of determining and identifying the most appropriate ICD-10-CM codes. The Patient-Driven Payment Model (PDPM), which goes into effect Oct. 1, 2019, has increased the importance of accurate ICD-10-CM diagnoses by shifting Medicare payments from therapy volume to resident characteristics. ICD-10-CM codes and diagnoses will impact the OT, PT, SLP, NTA, and nursing components under PDPM.
In this course, you will walk through the process for using the ICD-10-CM Manual, from identification of the main term through the final code selection, and review coding and chapter-specific guidelines. You will have the opportunity to enhance your learning and locate correct ICD-10-CM codes throughout this interactive education program.
Following completion of this certificate program, you will be able to meet the following learning objectives:
- Define the correct process for determining the ICD-10-CM code from the physician’s documented diagnoses
- State which practitioners can diagnose
- Explain the process for identifying the “main term” for diagnoses to assist clinicians to locate the basic code in the Alphabetic Index
- Describe the difference between “Excludes 1” and “Excludes 2” notes
- State the importance of chapter specific guidelines
- Identify the ICD-10-CM code for a cancer diagnosis using the Neoplasm table
- Explain how combination codes are appended for residents who have a specific type of diabetes “with” multiple conditions
- Report the seventh characters assigned to designate the stages of glaucoma
- Identify the ICD-10-CM code for a pathological fracture related to osteoporosis
- Name one chapter-specific guideline that has a major impact on coding traumatic fractures that have been surgically repaired with a joint replacement
- Explain steps required to determine a principal diagnosis
- Describe how ICD-10-CM codes will impact the therapy and non-therapy ancillary components in PDPM
- State the MDS item where the facility will document the ICD-10-CM code for the primary diagnosis
- List at least four documents to review to determine diagnoses for your new SNF resident
Available in early July!